Locate each of the structures on the diagram, color and label. Match the color in the box to the color on the diagram. You can choose the colors.
1. Salivary glands: glands in the cheeks and under the tongue which produce saliva to moisten food as it is chewed. Salivary glands also secrete enzymes which break down starches in the mouth.
2. Esophagus: muscular tube which creates peristaltic waves to carry swallowed food from the throat to the stomach.
3. Stomach: muscular organ which churns food and secretes enzymes and acids for food digestion.
4. Small intestine: hollow tube where chemical digestion continues, and nutrients are absorbed into the bloodstream.
**Label Duodenum (1st section after stomach)
Jejunum (2nd section)
Ileum (3rd section)
5. Pancreas: secretes insulin which breaks down sugar.
6. Liver: organ which processes digested food into useful substances for the body, secretes bile for fat digestion, and removes toxins from the blood
7. Gallbladder: storage sac for bile located on the lower surface of the liver. Bile enters the duodenum through a the bile duct.
8. Colon (large intestine): absorbs water from food that has not been digested
9. Appendix: small extension of the colon though to be involved in immune function
10. Rectum: large intestine which stores and eliminates waste material from the body.
1. Describe the path food takes after it enters in the mouth. Be specific.
2. Name two organs that are part of the system, but food does not directly pass through them. List their functions.
3. What is the main difference between the functions of the small and large intestine?
4. Name two organs that have the job of secreting chemicals that aid in digestion?
5. There are some structures missing from the diagram. Draw them and label based on the following descriptions:
Bile Duct : connects the gallbladder to the duodenum
Pyloric Sphincter Valve: valve the regulates food leaving the stomach and entering the small intestine
Anus: sphincter located at the end of the rectum