In this investigation, you will view sites that illustrate the process of meiosis. For each site answer the questions associated. Remember that url's must be typed in exactly as they appear.
Site 1 - Lew-Port's Meiosis Page
Go to-->Lew-Port's Biology Place and click on Meiosis (also try googling "lewport biology animations" for shortcut)
1. How many chromosomes does the cell in this animation start with ? __________________
2. The homologous pairs are represented by similar ________________________
3. When chromosomes make copies of themselves, they _____________________________
4. Copies of chromosomes are held together by the _____________________________
5. Each chromosome finds its __________________________________________
6. Draw "crossing over" - using your pencil to shade in the areas that exchange parts.
7. How many chromosomes are at each pole of the cell? ___________
7. During meiosis 2, chromosomes line up again along the cell's ___________________________
8. Only _________ copy of each chromosome moves toward the poles. Which means only _________ chromosomes of the original six.
9. New membranes form around each ____________________________
10. Each cell divides, forming a total of ______________ cells.
Site 2 - Sumanas Inc., Animation of Meiosis
http://www.sumanasinc.com/ ---> go to animation gallery --> go to general biology --> Meiosis
12. Read the introduction. Explain how sexual reproduction results in unique offspring.
(Click the "STEP THROUGH" button)
12. DNA replication takes place when? __________________
13. Meiosis consists of two cell divisions: _________________ & __________________
14. Centrosomes (aka centrioles) migrate to _______________________________
15. The pairing of homologous chromosomes is called: ________________________
16. Crossing over points are called __________________
17. What happens in metaphase I ______________________________________________
18. What happens during anaphase I __________________________________________
19. What is interkinesis? ____________________
20. In prophase II, each cells is [ diploid / haploid ] (circle)
21. In metaphase II, chromosomes line up in [ single | double ] file.
22. What happens during telophase II? _______________________________________
23. (Click to Conclusion). Each of the four daughter cells produced by meiosis is [ identical / unique ]
(Click to Quiz)
24. With respect to meiosis, when does DNA replication occur? ____________________
25. When does crossing over occur? _________________
26. During which phase do chromosomes line up along the equator? __________________
27. During which phase does the nuclear membrane form around the chromosomes? _____________
Site 3 - Biology in Motion - Meiosis
Go to www.biologyinmotion.com --> click "Cell Division Exercise" --> Click "Practice Meiosis"
28. There are two ways in which the chromosomes can end up after meiosis. Sketch the two ways and indicate by color the chromosomes (use the following color codes: Purple, Dark Purple, Green, Dark green)
Site 4: PBS: Mitosis vs. Meiosis
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/baby/ --> Click "How Cells Divide" -->"Mitosis vs. Meiosis"
29. After viewing the animation, fill out the chart below, by placing a check in the box or boxes to indicate which the event occurs in (some events might have checks for both mitosis and meiosis).
|Two cell divisions|
|Chromosomes pair up|
|Spindle fibers form|
|Two cell divisions|
|Four daughter cells|