Show your work!
_________ Gray face ________ Gray face _______ Orange face
1. OOmpas generally have gray faces, which is caused by a dominant gene. The recessive condition results in an orange face. Develop a key to show the possible genotypes and phenotypes for the OOmpah's face colors.
2. Two heterozygous OOmpahs are crossed. What proportion of the offspring will have orange faces? ________
3. A gray faced OOmpah (homozygous) is married to an orange faced Oompah. They have 8 Oompah children. How many of those children will have gray faces? _______
4. Otis Oompah has an orange face is is married to Ona OOmpah who has a gray face. They have 60 Oompah children, 30 of those children have orange faces. What is Ona and Otis OOmpah's genotype? _______________Show the cross.
5. Odie Oompah has a gray face, in fact everyone in Odie’s family has a gray face, and the family likes to brag that they are a “pure” line. Much to his familys horror, he married Ondi Oomah, who *gasp* has an orange face. What will be the phenotypes of their children? ________ What are the genotypes of the children? __________
6. Ona Oompah (from #4) divorces Otis and marries Otto. Otto has a gray face, but is heterozygous. What is the probability that Ona and Otto's children will have an orange face?
______ = Red Hair
______ = Purple Hair
______ = Blue Hair
7. OOmpahs can have red, blue, or purple hair. The allele that controls this trait is INCOMPLETELY DOMINANT, where purple hair is caused by the heterozygous condition. Show a "key" for the genotypes and phenotypes of hair color.
8. Orville Oompah has purple hair and is married to Opal Oompah who brags that she has the bluest blue hair in the valley. How many of Opal children will be able to brag about their blue hair also. _____ How many will take after their father? ____
9. One of Opal's children is born with shocking red hair. Is Orville Oompah the father of this child? ______But wait, Opal swears that she has been faithful, she claims the hospital goofed and got her baby mixed with someone else's. Is Opal the mother of the red haired child?
10. Olga Oompah has red hair and marries Oliver Oompah who has blue hair. They have 32 children. What is the color of these children's hair? ____________
11. Olivia Oompah is married to Odo Oompah. Both of them have purple hair. They have 100 children. What is the hair color of their children and in what proportion?
Red ________ Blue ______ Purple ________
12. In the land of OOmpah, blue hair is highly valued. Blue haired OOmpahs get special benefits. Oscar Oompah has purple hair but he wants a wife that will give him children with blue hair.
What color hair should he look for in a wife? __________
If he can’t find this type of Oompah what should be his second choice? _____________
13. Ophelia Oompah is not married but she wants to have children. She goes to a fertility clinic where she is fertilized by an anonymous sperm donor. Ophelia has red hair. 5 months later, a litter of oompahs is born, of the eight babies in the litter, 4 of them have red hair, and 4 of them have purple hair. What color hair did the babies’ father have? ____________ (Show the cross)
14. Ophelia repeats the process a year later. This time she has a litter of 5 oompahs, all of which have purple hair. What was the father’s hair color in this case? ___________
(Show the cross)
15. A homozygous gray faced, blue haired oompah named Ortimer marries an orange faced (homozygous) red haired oompah named Odette. GGBB x ggRR What will Ortimer and Odette’s children look like? ______________________
16. Two oompahs, both heterozygous for both traits are married. Out of 16 children, how many of each type would you expect?