Before you watch the video, tell me a little about your experience with dogs:
1) Do you have a dog (or have you ever had a dog)? _______
2) What do you like about dogs? ________________________________>
3) What do you not like about dogs? ______________________________
4) Pick a name for the dog pictured → ____________________________
1. How is the way a dog looks at a face similar to the way humans look at faces?
2. What evidence suggests humans can understand barking? (How did researchers test this hypothesis?)
3. Why is the hormone oxytocin important?
4. Compare dog and chimpanzee behavior. What can dogs do much better than a chimpanzee?
5. What is Betsy's unique skill?
6. The video shows a project where humans raised wolf cubs like they were puppies. What major differences were shown between the cubs and domesticated puppies?
7. Describe the process being used in Russia to domesticate foxes.
8. How did researchers in the fox project determine that nature (genetics) was more important than nurture (how the foxes were raised)?
9. When we select against aggression (either in foxes or dogs), what other characteristics seem to become more pronounced?
10. How is the boxer genome being used to help humans?