1. Cell division is [more / less ] complex in eukaryotic cells than bacteria.
2. A cell spends _________ percent of its time in interphase.
3. For each of the following indicate whether it occurs in the G1, S, G2, Mitosis, Cytokinesis
_____ Microtubules are assembled
_____ Nucleus divides into two nuclei
_____ Cell grows rapidly
_____ DNA is copied
_____ Cytoplasm divides
4. The pie graph shows that the longest part of the cell
cycle is ___________________
5. After the G1 phase, the cell enters the _______ phase.
6. Mitosis produces two new cells that are [ identical / different ]
7. The Cell Cycle is Carefully ____________________________
8. Control of the cell cycle occurs at 3 principle [ locations / checkpoints ]
9. Which checkpoint makes the key decision whether the cell will divide? ___________
10. Which checkpoint checks DNA synthesis? _____________
11. The uncontrolled growth of cells is called _______________________
12. Which of the following can cause cancer (check all that apply)
______ mutations in genes
______ exposure to ultraviolet radiation
See "Exploring Further" (page 127)
13. A mass of cancer cells within normal tissue is called a _____________________
14. Cancer cells that spread to other tissues are called _________________________
15. The spread of cancer cells beyond the original site is called ______________________
16. The two types of genes that regulate cell division and growth are
_________________________ & ___________________________
17. Usually [ more than one / only one ] mutation is required to produce a cancer cell.
18. Explain why cancer becomes more common as people get older.