1. In some respects, the ________________ is like a factory.
2. These structures are known as “little organs.” ________________.
3. Cell biologists divide the eukaryotic cell into two major parts the
________________________ and the _____________________________________________.
4. See Figure 7-7. What part of the nucleus (with pointer) contains a small, dense region? ______________________________________________
5. The nucleus is surrounded by a ____________________________ composed of two membranes.
6. When a cell divides, however; __________________ condenses to form __________________.
7. _________________________ are small particles of RNA and protein found throughout the cytoplasm.
8. The portion of the ___________________ involved in the synthesis of proteins is called _________________________ or ___________________________.
9. See Figure 7-9. What does the Golgi apparatus do to proteins? ___________________________
10. The Golgi apparatus is somewhat like a ___________________________, where the finishing touches are put on proteins before they are ready to leave the “factory.”
11. One function of __________________________ is the digestion, or breakdown, of lipids, carbohydrates, and proteins into ________________________________ that can be used by the rest of the cell.
12. What kind of vacuole does the paramecium in Figure 7-10 contain? ____________________________
13. Most cells get energy in one of two ways ---- from ________________________ or from the ___________.
14. ___________________________ are organelles that convert the chemical energy stored in food into compounds that are more convenient for the cell to use.
15. ______________________________ are the biological equivalents of solar power plants.
16. Unlike other organelles that contain no DNA, ________________________ and ____________________ contain their own genetic information in the form of small DNA molecules.
17. Eukaryotic cells have a structure --- the _____________________________ --- that helps support the cell.
18. ___________________________ assembly and disassembly is responsible for the cytoplasmic movements that allow cells, such amoebas, to crawl along surfaces.
19. What plays a critical role in maintaining a cell’s shape? ________________________
20. _____________________ are located near the nucleus and help to organize cell division. _____________________ are not found in plant cells.