1. Carolus Linnaeus named our order
Primates, which means ___________________ in Latin.
2. Primates have binocular vision, a well-developed ____________________, long fingers and toes, and arms that can _________________ around their shoulders.
3. ________________________ enabled many primates to run along tree limbs and swing from branch to branch.
4. Many primates have a flat face, so both eyes face forward with overlapping fields of view which gives primates excellent ____________________________ vision.
5. Humans and other primates ______________________________________ from a common ancestor that lived more than _______________ years ago.
6. ________________________alive today are small, nocturnal primates with large eyes.
7. Humans, apes, and most monkeys belong to the group called _____________________.
8. The anthropoids are divided into two main branches called the _______ _____________ monkeys and the _______ _____________ monkeys.
9. New World monkeys have a long, ____________________________ tail.
10. The skull, neck, spinal column, hipbones, and leg bones of early hominid species changed shape that enabled later species to ________________________________.
11. Define bipedal: ____________________________________________________________________
12. Define opposable thumb: ___________________________________________________________
13. The difference in Homo sapiens brain size results from an expanded ___________________.
14. Almost ________ of all known hominid species have been discovered in the last 20 years.
15. The best known species is Australopithecus afarensis - from a remarkably complete female skeleton nicknamed ________________.
16. Most ________________________ now place Paranthropus on a separate, dead-end branch of our family tree.
17. Hominid evolution did not move in ____________________________transformation.
18. Homo habilis was found with tools made of ________________ and __________ in several waves.
19. Paleontologist are unsure exactly __________________ and _________________ Homo sapiens arose.
20. Describe the "multi-regional" model. ______________________________________________________.
21. Describe the "out-of Africa" model. ________________________________________________.
22. Modern humans involves two main groups, they are H. ____________________
and H. ____________________________.
23. Neanderthals disappeared around __________________________years ago leaving our species the Earth's only hominid.
24. Use Fig 32-16 to describe the parts of the human and gorilla skeletons.
1. Which of the following is NOT
a characteristic of most primates?
a. opposable digits b. well-developed cerebrum c. cloaca d. binocular vision
2. An example of a prosimian is the:
a. spider monkey b. lemur c. baboon d. orangutan
3. The fossil "Lucy" was
a. Australopithecus afaransis b. Homo habilis c. Homo sapiens d. Neanderthalis
4. A prehensile tail is one that:
a. is used for balance b. is absent or missing c. can wrap around branches d. is very short
5. Bipedal locomotion is an important
adaptation because it allowed hominids to:
a. move faster b. communicate better c. climb trees d. use tools