1. What are the key features of reptiles and what are the key features of birds?
2. Which group of animals are ectothermic and which are endothermic? What do these terms mean?
3. What are the parts of the amniote egg. Know the function of each.
(Amnion, Chorion, Allantois, Yolk)
4. How many chambers are in a reptile's heart? _____ A bird's? ____
A crocodile's? ____ Which has double loop circulation? _______
5. Know the taxonomy of birds and reptiles.
Class (birds) ___________________ (reptiles) _________________
6. Describe the 4 Orders of reptiles and list examples. Be able to discuss similarities and differences.
7. Compare the three different reproductive strategies: oviparous, ovoviviparous, viviparous
8. Explain several unique features of crocodilians.
9. Describe the tuatara (Where does it live? Why is it classified differently from other reptiles?)
10. What is the archaeopteryx? How is it like a bird? How is it like a dinosaur?
11. Describe and label a feather. What is the difference between down, flight and contour feathers?
12. Explain how the bird's skeleton is adapted for flight. Include specific details about the bird’s skeleton.
13. Label all the bones of a bird skeleton (see coloring worksheet)
14. Describe the anatomy of a bird. Be able to trace the food through the bird's digestive tract.
15. Know how the structure of a bird's beak and feet give clues to its lifestyle.
16. Know the major groupings of birds. Be able to determine which birds are most closely related.
17. What are the parts of a brain and what are the functions? (cerebrum, cerebellum, optic lobe, olfactory lobe)
Practice Questions: Which of the following pairs is most closely related.
a. turtle & tortoise .........b. turtle & alligator
a. gila monster & copperhead ...b. copperhead & cobra
a. tuatara & chameleon ......b. chameleon & gecko
a. snake & chameleon....... b. snake & alligator
a. hawk & sparrow ............ b. hawk & eagle
a. komodo dragon & alligator ..... b. alligator & crocodile
a. sparrow & flamingo .... b. sparrow & dove
Q L A R D F G W W N R Q N Q D
U K O K O O L W O L E G O R G
A Y Y S O B O A W R O V I R N
I V D S T L I F N Q R B A O I
L J E H L R Q N C I E A W R L
E E D A K C I H C U D L P G R
L F W D U C K C L V N R J S A
N S H W H I R B H U I D A Q T
P H E A S A N T C L U O J C S
F A L C O N E H Z T G V I T N
C H G O A R I C W U N E D E K
K G A L H C L N C R E G R Z J
Q T K W K M E I U E P W R A Z
J E Y E K I N F N R V D M K A
M A N L L U G A E S E L G A E
BLUEBIRD CARDINAL CHICKADEE CHICKEN DOVE DUCK
EAGLE FALCON FINCH GOOSE HAWK OSTRICH OWL PENGUIN
PHEASANT QUAIL RAVEN ROBIN SEAGULL SPARROW
STARLING SWALLOW VULTURE WREN