1. Roundworms are ________________
worms that have __________________ and digestive systems.
2. List the two openings a roundworm has. __________________________________________
3. Name the cavity between the endoderm and mesoderm layers. __________________________
4. A pseudocoelom is a ________________ coelom
5. Which body systems are more complex; the free-living roundworms or the parasitic
6. Name and the five physiological functions of the roundworm.
7. Free living roundworms that are
predators use _________________ mouthparts and _______________ to catch their
8. What type of fertilization do roundworms use to reproduce? ___________________________
9. Parasitic roundworms include _______________-causing worms, filarial worms, ____________ worms, and hookworms.
10. Name the place where the adult Trichinella roundworm lives? ________________________
11. Why is Trichinosis so painful for humans? _______________________________________
12. How is Trichinosis spread to humans? ___________________________________________
13. Filial worms are _______________ worms that live in the __________ and _________ _____________ of birds and mammals, including humans.
14. What is Elephantiasis and what causes it? ________________________________________
15. Look at Careers in Biology -
If we did not have meat inspectors here in the U.S., what possible problems could we as a consumer of meat face? ______________________________________________________________
16. What is the main symptom that Ascarid worms cause? ______________________________
17. How is the parasite Ascarid lumbricoides spread? _____________________________________
Look at the figure below.
18. How are the eggs released from the body? ________________________________________
19. How do the worms get back into the host (dogs) ____________________________________
20. Name two species (besides humans) that are affected by Ascarid worms? _____________________________________
21. Describe the process of how a hookworm infects its host. ____________________________
22. Caenorhabditis elegans is a free-swimming roundworm. This roundworm was the first of all animals to have what done? _____________________________________________________
Please fill in missing material on Roundworms in the below table:
|Organism||Disease||Route of Infection||Description|
|Trichinella||Trichinosis||Larvae burrow into muscle tissue|
|Filarial Worms||Bite of insect carrying worms||Worms block fluids, causing swelling in legs|
|Ascaris||Roundworms||Worms block intestine, interfering with digestion|
|Hookworm||Bare skin contact with soil|