Learn.Genetics at http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/ -- > Under the "Cell Biology" Menu, Click on "Cloning"
Browse the articles at the site to find the answers to the following questions.
1. Define Cloning: _________________________________________________
2. What is the difference between natural twinning and artificial twinning? ______________________________________
3. What is SCNT? ____________________________________________
4. To make Dolly the clone, they first isolated a cell from where? __________________________________
5. They transferred the nucleus of this cell to where? ____________________
6. List all the materials needed to clone a mouse.
7. Place the following steps in the correct order.
________ Stimulate cell division
________ Deliver baby
________ Remove and discard the nucleus from the egg cell
________ Isolate donor cells from egg donor and germ cell donor
________ Transfer the somatic cell nucleus into the egg cell
________ Implant embryo into a surrogate mother
8. Explain how the nucleus is removed from the donor egg:
9. What color with the cloned mouse be? _____________ What is the name of this mouse? _____________________
10. What was the first organism ever cloned using artificial embryo twinning? ___________________________________________
11. How did Hans Sermann separate cells from a salamander embryo? _______________________________
12. What happened to the tadpoles that were cloned from more advanced embryos? ______________________________
16. Where did John Gurdon obtain cells for his cloned frogs? _________________________________
17. What was the first mammal embryo cloned? ________________________________
18. What were the names of the two cloned calves?____________________________________
19. Cultured sheeps cells were used to create two lambs named _______________________ and ____________________
20. What as the first mammal created using somatic cell nuclear transfer? _________________________
Where did the DNA come from for this clone? ______________________
21. Out of 29 primate clones attempted, how many were born? _______
22. How was the clone "Polly" different from the first sheep clone named "Dolly?" __________________________
23. What was the first extinct animal cloned? ____________________________________
24. List four reasons given on the page for justifyig cloning:
25. What is a stem cell ? ___________________________________________
26. Why did CC look different from Rainbow even though they were both clones? _________________________________
27. What two things would you need to clone a dinosaur? _______________________________________________
28. Why would a farmer want to clone livestock? ___________________________________________
29. What are two reasons a person might want to clone a human? _____________________________________
30. For each of the following scenarios, indicate YES (it is cloning) or NO (it is not cloning)
___________Sperm taken from
a mole goat is combined with a female's egg in a petri dish. The resulting embryo
is implanted into the female's uterus to develop
___________A sheep embryo, composed of 16 cells, is removed from the mother's uterus and separated into indivudal cells. Each cell is allowed to multiply, creating 16 separate embryos, which are then implanted in different female sheep to develop to maturity.
___________A cow with many desirable traits is stimulated with hormones to produce a number of egg cells. Each of these eggs is fertilized and implanted into a surrogate mother.
___________ In vitro fertilization
___________ Cell nuclei from an extinct wolly mammoth are placed into enucleated cow cells.
31. Why is it impossible to make instant clones? _____________________________________
32. Why would Frankie #2 be different from Frankie #1? ____________________________________________
33. Give an example of a natural clone: _____________________________________________
34. Humans have been cloning _______________________ for thousands of years.
35. Why does cloning have such a high failure rate? _______________________________________________