1. The graph shows what type of growth curve?
boom and bust
2. On the graph "M" represents the:
3. On the graph, the X axis is:
number of individuals
number of deaths
4. A negative rate of growth means that:
the population is declining
the population is increasing
the population is logistic
zero population growth has been reached
5. Population A has a reproductive rate of 4 per year, Population B has a reproductive rate of 2 per year. Population A has a life span of 4 years, population B has a life span of 10 years. Assuming they are reproductively capable all the years of their life, which has the greater biotic potential?
Both are equal
cannot be determined
6. If new predators are introduced into an area, and the number of prey eaten subsequently increases, which of the following must occur in order for the population to stabilize?
The reproductive rate of the prey must increase
The reproductive rate of the prey must decrease
The reproductive rate of the predators must increase
7. In a population of elk, two males will use their antlers to fight over available females. This is an example of:
boom and bust
8. Which of the following describes a dominance heirarchy?
wolves have an alpha, the leader of the pack gets the majority of the food
mice fight to the death over territory
as the predators in an area increase, the prey decrease
one population pushes another population to extinction
9. In the spring, small water crustaceans have a population explosion, but by midsummer the majority of the population is gone. This is an example of:
predator prey cycling
boom and bust cycle
10. The survivorship curve of balanus shows: