Electricians that wire houses and buildings use diagrams to simplify communication. The images below show symbols that are used in these diagrams.
The symbols are combined in different ways to show how a light or appliance would be placed in the circuit. By convention, the corners the diagram are squared to make it look neater.
Practice Drawing Your Own Diagrams for each description. (Use separate page or graph paper)
1. Two bulbs in series, one battery, closed switch
2. One bulb, two batteries, open switch
3. Two bulbs in parallel, one battery, closed switch
4. Three bulbs in series, one bulb parallel, one battery, one open switch
5. Any combination of lights and batteries and switches!