THE HUMAN GENOME PROJECT 1990 to 2000
Only a small part of the human genome is actual working genes. ~25,000 genes
Why look for genes?
1) may provide clues to the basic properties of life
2) how genes may have commercial value
3) development of drugs or treatment for diseases
* Faulty gene replaced by a normal gene
* Potential to cure disorders (cystic fibrosis)
* Uses viruses to insert DNA (see Figure 14-21, p 360)
To cure genetic diseases (Cystic Fibrosis, Tay-Sachs,
What about dwarfism? Should we seek a cure for dwarfism or other traits that are not necessarily harmful?
What if we could design our bodies (pick hair color, height, and blood type)....
Should we clone our bodies, pets, or livestock?