1. Identify and describe the functions of the skeletal system.
2. Distinguish between long bones, short bones, flat bones, and irregular bones and provide an example of each.
3. Identify the parts of a typical long bone.
4. Describe the microscopic structure of compact bone, and compare it with that of spongy bone.
5. Explain the process by which bones are formed and how they growth in length and width.
6. Identify all the bones of the appendicular skeleton on a model and on a real human skeleton with identification of individual structures within those bones
7. Identify the bones of the skull on a real human skull and a model
8. Compare differences between male and female skeletons, and differences between the bones of individuals at different ages
9. Diagnose specific types of bone fractures on X-ray images
10. Describe and diagnose disorders of the skeletal system.
11. Reconstruct a skeleton from disarticulated bones (Lab)
NGSS Science Standards
HS-LS1-2 Develop and use a model to illustrate the hierarchical organization of interacting systems that provide specific functions within multicellular organisms