Sensory Receptors - detect environmental changes and trigger nerve impulses
What is synesthesia?
General vs Special Senses
1. Chemoreceptors = _____________________________
2. Pain receptors = _______________________________
3. Thermoreceptors = _____________________________
4. Mechanoreceptors = ____________________________
5. Photoreceptors = ______________________________
Sensation = feeling that occurs when a brain interprets a sensory impulse
Projection = process where the cerebrum causes a feeling to stem from a source (eyes, ears)
Sensory adaptation =
Sense of Pain
How is the Universal Pain Assessment Tool used by health care professionals?
Where do most people obtain prescription drugs for non-medical use? How can abuse of these drugs be prevented?
Hearing and Equilibrium:
Olfactory organs contain olfactory receptors
Odor Molecule →
Why do smells trigger memories?
Taste buds = Papillae
What are the five types of taste?
Why does cilantro taste like soap to some people?
External Ear = Auricle (pinna) - outer ear | External Auditory Meatus | Auriculares muscle
Middle Ear (tympanic cavity)
Eardrum, also called tympanum
What are the 3 auditory ossicles? (identify below)
Auditory Tube (eustachian tube) -
Labyrinth - communicating chambers and tubes
Osseous Labyrinth and Membranous Labyrinth
........Perilymph and Endolymph (fluids within the labyrinth)
Semicircular Canals - sense of equilibrium
What is a myringotomy?
Cochlea - sense or hearing
Organ of Corti - hearing receptors, hair cells detect vibrations
Why do we lose are hearing as we age?
What is a cochlear implant?
Steps in Hearing
1. Sound waves enter external ______________________________________
2. __________________________ vibrates
3. Auditory ______________________(malleus, incus, stapes) amplify vibrations
4. Stapes hits oval window and transmits vibrations to _______________________
5. _________________ contain receptor cells (hair cells) that deform from vibrations
6. Impulses sent to the _____________________________ nerve
7. Auditory cortex of the ________________lobe interprets sensory impulses
8. _____________________ dissipates vibrations within the cochlea
What is the relationship between hair cells and loss of hearing?
What is tinnitus?
Static Equilibrium -
Dynamic Equilibrium (semicircular canals) -