Chapter 22 Review Sheet
Define the following words (know the word's base meaning in some)
Be able to label each of the protists we looked at (paramecium, ameba, spirogyra, and euglena)
1. What two structures are used for locomotion in unicellular organisms?
2. What is the control center, or the "brain" of a unicellular oganism?
3. What organism moves using pseudopodia?
4. What protist is responsible for malaria? What organism is the carrier for malaria?
5. Name two organisms we looked at that had chloroplasts.
6. What organelle is used to remove excess water?
7. If a person suspected that she had malaria, would doctors check her urine, her blood, or her skin?
8. Where does waste exit the paramecium?
9. Is an ameba unicellular or multicellular? Heterotrophic or autotrophic?
10. Is a euglena unicellular or multicellular? Heterotrophic or autotrophic?
11. Is a paramecium unicellular or multicellular? Heterotrophic or autotrophic?
12. Which of the following protists is the fastest: paramecium, ameba, euglena?
13. What organism can change from being autotrophic to being heterotrophic?
14. Name two diseases you could get from drinking contaminated water.
15. What disease could you get from being bitten by a tse tse fly?
16. What disease could you get from being bitten by an anopheles mosquito?
17. What organelle in the paramecium is used for sexual reproduction?
18. What is the main symptom of malaria?
19. What is conjugation?
20. What word means "false foot"?
21. Animal-like protists are generally called _______?
22. What organelle is used for photosynthesis?
23. What organism causes dysentery?
24. Can a person die from malaria?
25. What organism did we study has a mouth pore and an anal pore?
26. What organism moves by cilia?
27. What is binary fission?
28. Is spirogyra unicellular or multicellular? Heterotrophic or autotrophic?
29. Where do ameba and paramecium usually live?
30. Name 4 diseases caused by protists.
31. What does the word "protozoa" mean?
32. What protists have a nucleus?
33. During unfavorable conditions, an ameba forms a ______?
34. What are the three types of algae?
35. How does an ameba get its food?
36. What is the stiff outer membrane in euglena and paramecium called?
37. What drug is used to treat malaria?