Introduction: In this lab you will observe the diffusion of a substance across a semi permeable membrane. Iodine is a known indicator for starch. An indicator is a substance that chances color in the presence of the substance it indicates. Watch as your teacher demonstrates how iodine changes in the presence of starch.
Prelab Observations: Describe what happened when iodine came into contact with starch.
1. Define diffusion. ____________________________________________________________
2. Define osmosis. ____________________________________________________________
3. What is the main difference between osmosis and diffusion _________________________________
4. Why is iodine called an indicator? _____________________________________________________
5. Molecules tend to move from areas of _______ concentration to areas of ______ concentration.
What's in the Bag?
We're going to think about concentrations now, which substances are more or less concentrated depends on which one has the most stuff in it.
1. Is the baggie or beaker more concentrated in starch? ________________________
2. Is the baggie or beaker more concentrated in iodine? ________________________
3. Iodine solution: is the baggie or the beaker hypertonic? ________________________
4. Starch solution: is the baggie or the beaker hypertonic? ________________________
5. Which one is hypotonic in relation to starch, baggie or beaker? ________________________
1. If the baggie was permeable to starch, which way would the starch move, into or out of the bag? _______
2. If the baggie was permeable to iodine, which way would the iodine move, into or out of the bag? _______
3. If the baggie was permeable to iodine, what color would you expect the solution in the baggie to turn? _______ What about the solution in the beaker? ___________
4. If the baggie was permeable to starch, what color would you expect the solution in the baggie to turn? ________ What about the solution in the beaker? _________
5. Make a prediction about what
you think will happen: ________________________________________
6. Write your observations in the table below:
Color after 15 minutes
Solution in Beaker
Solution in Bag
1. Based on your observations, which substance moved, the iodine or the starch?
2. How did you determine this?
3. The plastic baggie was permeable to which substance?
4. Is the plastic baggie selectively permeable?
5. Sketch the cup and baggie in the space below. Use arrows to illustrate how diffusion occurred in this lab.
6. What would happen if you did
an experiment in which the iodine solution was placed in the baggie, and the
starch solution was in the beaker?
Be detailed in your description.
7. Why is it not a good idea to store iodine in a plastic bag? Related Documents: