First of all, review the steps for Gram Staining at http://www.microbiologybytes.com/video/Gram.html
1. Who developed the Gram Stain technique?
2. Why is gram staining important for classifying bacteria?
3. Compare gram negative bacteria to gram positive bacteria.
Check out some of these resources on Gram Stains.
Review the shapes of bacteria at: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio106/bacteria.htm
1. What are the thre basic shapes of bacteria? Give one common example of each.
2. How is "DIVISION" used to describe coccus bacteria?
3. If any shape of a bacteria is arranged in a chain, what is the PREfix for its name?
4. What are the three forms of spiral bacteria?
Locate each of the following organisms using PHIL (Public Health Image Library). If you cannot find the information on PHIL, use a google search.
*Due to the difficulty of typing the words, you might want to open this page in another browser window so that you can copy/paste.
**Warning: some images are inappropriate for young viewers**
(+ or -)
|Shape||Sketch||Disease, condition, or general info|
|Legionella ( Mycobacterium tuberculosis)|