Kinetic and Potential Energy Problem Set
SHOW ALL WORK!
1. What is the kinetic energy of a jogger with a mass of 65.0 kg traveling at a speed of 2.5 m/s?
2. What is the mass of a baseball that has a kinetic energy of 105 J and is traveling at 10 m/s?
3. What is the kinetic energy of a 0.38 kg soccer ball that is traveling at a speed of 120 m/s?
4 What is the kinetic energy of a 0.50 kg ball travelling at a speed of 120 m/s ?
5. What is the kinetic energy of a 0.50 kg ball that is travelling at a speed of 40 m/s
Gravitational Potential Energy
1. Find the gravitational potential energy of a light that has a mass of 13.0 kg and is 4.8 m above the ground.
2. An apple in a tree has a gravitational potential energy of 175 J and a mass of 0.36 g. How high from the ground is the apple?
3. A marble is on a table 2.4 m above the ground. What is the mass of the marble if it has a gravitational potential energy of 568 J.
4. A box with a mass of 12.5 sits on the floor. How high would you need to lift it for it to have a GPE of 355J ?
5. A cart at the top of a 300 m hill has a mass of 40 kg. What is the cart’s gravitational potential energy?
6. Assuming that energy is conserved and there is no friction, at the bottom of the hill the cart’s potential energy is completely converted to kinetic energy. Use the formula for kinetic energy to calculate the cart’s speed at the bottom of the hill.